Thursday, March 18, 2010

Great Harvest Bread Co.


I had some time to kill after my dentist* appointment last week, so I headed down the street to find some coffee.

If you know Wayne, then you know that there are at least five or six coffee shops within a half mile area. I wanted to sit down for a bit, so I headed to Cream & Sugar. It's a cute litte cafe with yummy lattes. I've only been there once or twice, so I forgot that they require a $10 credit card purchase. Is this even allowed anymore? I never carry cash, so I said "bye bye!"

I've been to places where they charge you a 3% fee or so if you don't meet the minimum requirement. I'm not sure if that's legal or not, but I really don't even mind. It's worth the convenience to me. I much rather would have paid a tiny fee, got my latte, and been able to sit down and enjoy my self for a few minutes than had to truck back out into the monsoon rain to find another shop. Ok, end rant. On to the "Things I Love" part of this post!

On to one of my favorite places--Great Harvest Bread Co. If you are local, please check out their shops in Wayne and Ardmore.

First off, they offer FREE slices of their amazing bread to everyone who walks in the door. My favorites are cinnamon swirl, apple crumb, s'more, savannah pecan swirl, and good old honey whole wheat. Yes, I have a lot of favorites. They also have amazing morning glory muffins and cinnamon chip scones. And, please try one of their pigs in a blanket. Yum all around!

The other wonderful thing about Great Harvest is that it's about 85 heavenly degrees in there, since they have all those ovens going. It was so nice to stand there for a few minutes, just soaking up the heat on a cold, rainy day. And, the smell. Oh my, who doesn't love the smell of freshly baked bread?

I got myself a cinnamon chip scone and a large Peet's coffee. It was a great start to my day!

Have you ever been to a Great Harvest Bread Co.? Do you have a favorite bakery or coffee shop?

*If you are looking for a dentist in the area, I highly recommend Dr. Spina in Wayne!

This post is linked to:
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Friday Favorites at The Other Mama

13 comments:

  1. LOVE Great Harvest. . .we have 2 great shops in near by Chestnut Hill - Baker Street Bread Co and another one who's name is escaping me. . .Metropolitan perhaps??

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I'm hungry for a scone and some afternoon coffee. Thanks a lot!! :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love your site and look forward to reading more soon! (BTW, saw the Trader Joe's French Roast Coffee post and I'm in total agreement - it's THE BEST coffee for the $$$).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! We have some here in town, but I've never checked them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, we don't have one here, but it sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure we don't have one, but I will travel for REALLY good bread! That sounds fabulous! Bread and coffee all together? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, I love the smell of fresh baked bread. It's like a yummy warm blanket you just want to curl up in...break dream. Ok, gonna have to make some bread this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you thru Hillary @ The Other Mama. Once upon a time we had a "Great Harvest" and then the owners dropped the franchise and kept it going as "The Alabama Bread Company." Still sample slices & a great community supporter! (Remember, Hil?) Ooo, I loved so many of their breads; the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin and the Triple Berry come to mind. But now folks can get "artesian" bread anywhere, and he went ahead and closed the business. So, sad. A "Jenny Craig" is now in that location. (Ha!) Keep buying & think of us bread-less ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we don't have Great harvest here! but it sounds divine. s'more bread? savannah pecan swirl? ahhhh. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We no longer have a Great Harvest nearby, though I loved it when we did. If I remember correctly, their bread is super moist. Panera Bread works well for me - for bread, coffee, and they now have a fantastic salmon salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Free bread? I'm totally there! The s'more sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I need to check it out the next time we head north to visit Grandma and PeePop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to everyone for stopping by an all your great comments!

    ReplyDelete